- Contact & Directions
- Capital Campaign
- New To Glisson?
- Dates, Rates, Registration
- Parent's Place
- Get Involved
- Glisson For Your Church
- EcoEternity Forest
- Master Plan
- Our Mission
- Meet Our Team
- Board Of Directors
"Thank you Camp Glisson! Max and Sam had another great camp experience. I appreciate all the hard work you put into each week to make it special for all the campers. They are already looking forward to next year. God is Good!!!"
- Laurie, parent of two 2011 campers
|Pledge Donate Team Up Brochure Ask a Question|
Serving Generations Overview
|View Flipbook or PDF ... Make a Pledge|
|As of May 17th, we're 65% of the way to $4.15M|
100% of our Board and year-round Staff members are in the second year of their three-year pledges - doing their part to make sure Glisson is around to serve generations to come. As we are continuing to approach the foundation community, pledges and gifts from those individuals and churches closest to the Glisson ministry become even more important as we build momentum toward our campaign goal. Please consider how your family, church, alumni friends or fellowship group might participate in this critical campaign.
Ready to pledge your support? You can Pledge online and use our Donate Now feature to give securely anytime. Or keep reading to learn more...like how the pledge you make will help us claim this incredible challenge grant even more quickly than a one-time gift will.
Why Do We Need A New Dining Hall?
The cornerstone of Serving Generations is a new Dining Hall. Our current Dining Hall was built in 1951 when Glisson hosted around 125 campers each week. Now that Glisson hosts as many as 320 campers each week (plus summer staff) during summer, and just as many retreat guests during retreat season, we find ourselves feeding as many as 400 people per day. Glisson's ministry has simply outgrown this much beloved 62-year-old Dining Hall which we have come to love through the years.
After completing a detailed Master Plan Update in 2010 and a meticulous feasibility study in 2011, it has become clear our most urgent need is for a new dining hall:
- With a capacity of 170 people, the existing Dining Hall is too small to accommodate current camp and retreat volumes. This poses significant programmatic and practical challenges as large groups must dine in multiple shifts, interrupting the flow and scheduling of activities.
- The Dining Hall is vital to Glisson's operations, used by virtually every participant, every day. It is the only onsite facility without which the entire ministry could not exist.
- The current Dining Hall is 62 years old, well above the typical life cycle for a facility which is so heavily used. While this is an outstanding testament to Glisson's stewardship of resources, the time has come to build for the future.
What Will The New Dining Hall Be Like?
The sharing of a common table is fundamental to building Christian community. By creating enough room for the entire Glisson community to break bread together, a new Dining Hall will heighten the sense of community that is at the heart of camp and retreat ministry. Features will include:
- Seating capacity for a total of 450 people;
- Flexible seating space that can be used as two smaller dining rooms or as one large dining area;
- A lobby area that will accommodate up to 100 guests, adding much-needed space for group interaction and casual gatherings that build community;
- A commercial kitchen with ample storage and a packout area to support the overnight camping component of the summer program;
- A lower floor with space for the relocated camp store, a prayer chapel, a large meeting room, storage and casual gathering area.
Upon learning that a new Dining Hall is planned, many Glisson alumni quickly respond with concern about what might happen to the current Dining Hall and that porch we've all come to love so much. All can rest assured that the building currently serving as the Glisson Dining Hall will remain. Our Updated Master Plan calls for the current Dining Hall to be re-purposed into meeting space - in a future phase - similar to the renovation recently completed in Down Under. That beloved stone porch will remain as well.
What Other Projects Are Included?
|Pledge quickly and easily online|
- At this particular friend's request, the $750,000 challenge gift will be the "last dollars in", meaning we need the Glisson extended family to help us claim it.
- Our overall campaign goal is $4.9 million. Once the level of funds commited to the campaign reaches the $4.15 million mark, we will be able to claim the full challenge and the $750,000 gift will get us to that magical goal of $4.9 million.
- Pledges – not only outright gifts – count toward the challenge. If you pledge $3,000 to the campaign, with the intent of spreading-out your payments over the next two years or so, then the full amount of your $3,000 pledge is counted toward the dollars "committed" to the campaign. A gift of $1,000 will help us get closer, but a multi-year pledge of $3,000 gets us there even faster because the pledged amount counts toward the challenge.
- Gifts are wonderful, and we're grateful for every single one, but a multi-year pledge now will help us get closer to breaking ground on this new Dining Hall even sooner.
Gift Recognition Levels
Gift recognition levels are available beginning at $2,500. Recognition will appear in various designated locations within the new Dining Hall. Families, churches and fellowship groups (i.e. former Glisson summer staff groups, Sunday School classes or youth groups) are encouraged to combine their multi-year pledges to qualify for any of the recognition levels or naming opportunities listed below. For more on teaming up to raise more funds, check out: A Fun Way To Help Build The Dining Hall.
- Campaign giving between $2,500 and $5,999 will qualify the individual, family, church or group's name to be included in a central location on the lower level of the Dining Hall
- Campaign giving between $6,000 and $9,999 will be recognized in a central location on the Dining Hall porch
- For gifts above $10,000, several Naming Opportunities are available.
Can I Make Gifts Of Stock?
The most tax-efficient method of making this type of gift is to donate the stock shares directly to the Georgia United Methodist Foundation on Glisson's behalf. The Foundation will immediately initiate a sale of the stock shares and forward the proceeds directly to Glisson. The donor then receives documentation from the Foundation regarding the stock sale transaction as well as official notification from Glisson of a charitable gift once the funds are received by Glisson.
For instructions to provide to your broker about how to initiate your gift of stock for Glisson, Email Phil Dodson or contact him at (706) 864-6181.
Honoring The Past ... Building For The Future
Glisson has served the children, youth and adults of North Georgia since 1925 - for 88 years now. In some families, four generations have experienced the transformation of Christ in their lives because of the vision shown by the leaders in the North Georgia Conference so long ago. Thousands of individuals have answered God's call on their lives in ministry as either lay or clergy leaders – in part because they were offered a place to meet Him face-to-face, in the midst of His Creation, where the demands of their everyday lives could be put aside for a period of time and they could be receptive to His still, small voice.
The importance of the Serving Generations capital campaign on the future of Glisson's ministry cannot be overstated. Because of the magnitude of this campaign, and because this is the most ambitious undertaking in Glisson's history, every family impacted by Glisson over the years will need to be involved in order for the campaign to be successful. We ask that all families or individuals prayerfully consider how they can make a stretch pledge to the campaign and thereby help usher Glisson into the next 50 years of ministry and beyond.
If you have any questions about this campaign, or about how you can become involved in a meaningful way, please Email Phil Dodson or call (706) 864-6181.