2021 First-Time Camper Open House
Sun 4/18 | 1-5pm | Limited Attendance
Registration Required | Masks Required
Each spring, we host an Open House event designed to help first-time campers and their families know what to expect prior to arriving for summer camp. We’re excited to be able to offer an in-person chance for families to see inside a Village cabin, take a walk around campus, meet our team, and ask any questions. If you’re unable to attend or would prefer a virtual alternative, see below for a list of digital resources first-time campers and families might find helpful.
Whether this will be your family’s first time ever stepping on Glisson’s “Holy Dirt”, or you’re an alumni camper yourself preparing your child for their own Glisson experience, we can’t wait to welcome you to camp on April 18th! Listed below are some of the key adaptations we’ve made to this specific event to help all involved stay safe:
- STAY SMALL: In order to allow for social distancing between families, we’ve intentionally limited attendance for this year’s event. Be sure to register for a specific time slot (1-2pm, 2-3pm, 3-4pm, or 4-5pm).
- STAY COVERED: Cloth face coverings must be worn at all times – upon leaving your vehicle and until returning to your vehicle.
- STAY (MOSTLY) OUTSIDE: Village cabins will be open for touring one group at a time using dedicated entrances and exits. Restrooms will also be available for use. Please note that the interior of most camp facilities will be closed for this predominantly outdoor event.
- STAY SPACED: Rather than gathering for a group Q&A session, we’ll have staff positioned at key locations around campus to help answer questions. Relatedly, while we unfortunately won’t be able to offer shuttle service to tour Outpost as part of Open House this year, our team will be more than happy to answer any questions you or your camper might have about Outpost (or Village or Sparrowwood).
Thank you in advance for helping to ensure the safety and well-being of all involved. Please feel free to contact our team (firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-864-6181) with any questions prior to the event. Looking forward to seeing you at camp on Sunday 4/18!
PLEASE NOTE: Many of our sessions are full by April/May. We recommend parents register online prior to Open House to ensure space is available for their camper(s). Please review our Transfer & Cancellation Policy before registering.
While there’s nothing quite like being at Glisson in-person, here are a few resources that we hope will help get your bearings from afar.
- OUR TEAM: First and foremost, please feel free to Contact Us with any questions. Sending a child to overnight camp sparks a wide variety of questions for a thoughtful parent even in the most typical of years – and this is not a typical year. Our Team is here for you! Be sure to check out our FAQs Page, and if your question isn’t on there, we look forward to hearing from you!
- VIDEOS: If you haven’t already, check out our program overview videos for an idea of the setting: Village | Outpost | Sparrowwood
- MAPS & PICTURES: We’re aiming to launch a new interactive map later this spring that will offer campers and retreat guests a much more robust virtual experience of camp’s facilities and grounds from afar. In the meantime, as a reference, here’s our 2019 Self-Guided Tour Map for Village and Sparrowwood, as well as our Outpost Pioneer Map and Outpost Frontier & Expedition Map. Also, while originally designed with retreat groups in mind, our Lodging & Meals Page offers a closer look inside a cabin (Village campers) and Ivie Lodge (Sparrowwood campers) as well as our Dining Hall (Village & Sparrowwood).
- BLAZING THE TRAIL: Each year, we send all registered camper families a series of pre-arrival emails designed to blaze the trail to help make your family’s camp experience – before, during, after – as smooth as possible. These emails will cover a range of topics that offer an in-depth understanding of what to expect before camp, on check-in day, during the camp session, and on checkout day.