First-Time Camper Open House
Sunday, April 24th | 1-4pm
RSVP Required: Register Here
Prior to each summer, we host an Open House event designed to help first-time campers and their families know what to expect prior to arriving for summer camp. We’re excited to offer a chance for families to see inside a cabin, take a walk around campus, meet our team, and ask any questions. If you’re unable to attend or would prefer a virtual alternative, see below for a list of digital resources first-time campers and families might find helpful.
Whether this will be your family’s first time ever stepping on Glisson’s “Holy Dirt”, or you’re an alumni camper yourself preparing your child for their own Glisson experience, we can’t wait to welcome you to camp on April 24th! Below you’ll find event info of what to expect during this year’s Open House:
- Registration Required: Register Here. During registration, you’ll select one of 3 timeframes: 1-2p, 2-3pm, or 3-4pm. You are welcome to arrive and depart at any time during this timeframe.
- Upon arrival, you’ll receive a printout of a self-guided tour map. Staff will be positioned throughout camp to help answer questions. Optional Q&A sessions will be held at 2pm and 3pm in the Chapel with windows open.
- The camp store will be open, and lemonade and cookies will be served. Info about Outpost will be available at the Holland Building (gym), including a shuttle to tour the Outpost site.
- Covid-19 Note: Given current pandemic conditions, and given that this event is primarily outdoors, is naturally cohorted into small groups of friends/family who traveled to camp together, and is able to be spread out over a number of hours and locations throughout camp, we do not anticipate the need for any additional Covid mitigations for this Open House event. As always, if anyone is actively sick with a communicable illness of any sort, we ask that you please stay home. (In case you missed it, here’s a link to our most recent Covid-19 Update for Summer 2022 posted in February.)
Please feel free to contact our team (email@example.com or 706-864-6181) with any questions prior to the event. Looking forward to seeing you at camp on Sunday 4/24!
PLEASE NOTE: Many of our sessions are full by April/May. We recommend parents register online prior to Open House to ensure space is available for their camper(s). Please review our Transfer & Cancellation Policy before registering.
While there’s nothing quite like being at Glisson in-person, here are a few resources that we hope will help get your bearings from afar.
- OUR TEAM: First and foremost, please feel free to Contact Us with any questions. Sending a child to overnight camp sparks a wide variety of questions for a thoughtful parent even in the most typical of years – and this is not a typical year. Our Team is here for you! Be sure to check out our FAQs Page, and if your question isn’t on there, we look forward to hearing from you!
- VIDEOS: If you haven’t already, check out our program overview videos for an idea of the setting: Village | Outpost | Sparrowwood
- MAPS & PICTURES: As a reference, here’s our 2021 Self-Guided Tour Map for Village and Sparrowwood, as well as our Outpost Pioneer Map and Outpost Frontier & Expedition Map. Also, while originally designed with retreat groups in mind, our Lodging & Meals Page offers a closer look inside a cabin (Village campers) and Ivie Lodge (Sparrowwood campers) as well as our Dining Hall (Village & Sparrowwood).
- BLAZING THE TRAIL: Each year, we send all registered camper families a series of pre-arrival emails designed to blaze the trail to help make your family’s camp experience – before, during, after – as smooth as possible. These emails will cover a range of topics that offer an in-depth understanding of what to expect before camp, on check-in day, during the camp session, and on checkout day.